Real Time Web Analytics

Saturday, February 18, 2012

"Now Serving..." Me??

Something happened the other day that struck me as really, really dumb.
So, had to share.

I stopped in the local JoAnn's, which had recently moved to a new location and took on a new look.

They've added a new feature to their fabric-cutting counter... A "Take a Number" stand.


I walk up to the counter. And, even though I was one of perhaps 3 customers in the entire store--and none were in sight of the counter--the lady told me I had to take a number.

Me:  "You're kidding, right?"
Her:  "No. We have to do that now."
Me (playing along):  "Okay..."

Then, she walks to the new built-in microphone and picks it up as she flips a switch to the digital counter above her head.

Me:  "Are you really going to call my number?"
Her:  "Yes. The boss says we have to."
Her (in the microphone to the entire store):  "Now serving Number 16."
And, I had to hand her my number.

I almost peed my pants laughing at how dumb the whole thing was. But, I think she felt embarrassed enough, so I bit my lip.

Whatever. Rules are rules.

Hey, if you're in Central Indiana next Wednesday, there's a cool food event going on at the Indiana Historical Society. Tickets are still available.
It's called "Zest and Zing" and they'll be featuring local foods and local chefs in a cook-off.
Here's the link if you're interested:  Zest & Zing Info


7 comments:

  1. Oh, that poor woman. I feel for her. It's just like when the clerks at the checkout counter are required to say, "Would you like a large fries/candy bar/pack of cigarettes with that?" Even though, clearly, you wanted none of those things or you would have selected them yourself! Every time clerks are required to do this, I can hear the embarrassment in their voices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! This happened to me too. First I got really ticked off that I had to walk the whole way over (ok...it's only about 10 feet, but still) to get a number, but when she announced it on the microphone & turned the light to my number, I was trying not to laugh - it's the stupidest thing out there!! :-) I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to, and not the only one to think it's hysterical!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely rules. The ones who make them should have to be the ones who live with them first for a set number of days or weeks. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed the zest and thing on twitter, but i couldn't see the pics so that was a "bummer" (my new word, hehe) and YES that is pretty dumb!

    Big Hugs
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is hysterical. I suppose all the JoAnns stores are now like that. I live a block from one..... I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These situations make me laugh until my stomach hurts. Those poor employees.

    ReplyDelete