Real Time Web Analytics

Monday, November 8, 2010

Hunk Of Meat Monday: Pork Chops with Apples and Yams

I don't do a lot of recipe posts. I'm usually too busy cooking to take pictures and the hungry masses who are crying out for nourishment have no patience for such nonsense.

But I thought I'd join Bloggy Pal Leah over at Beyer Beware for Hunk of Meat Monday.

Hunk of Meat Mondays


This is one of my fall favorites--mostly because it includes pork (which is my favorite cooking meat, because it's so versatile and hard to mess up).
BONUS: This recipe is an ideal way to use up those sorry-looking apples that are a little bruised and no one will eat out right. Plus, it's a one-dish meal, so minimal clean up!

Ingredients

One 29 oz can of yams, drained. (I prefer the light syrup-style.)
Four pork chops
1/2 cup of apple cider or juice (I've used water in a pinch).
3 to 4 medium-sized apples
Nutmeg (Can also include cinnamon, if you like; I don't.)
2 T. of flour
2 T. cooking oil
Directions
1. Slice and core the apples, then set aside.
2. Preheat the cooking oil in a large, heavy-bottom skillet.
3. Dredge the pork chops in the flour.
4. Brown chops, about 3-4 minutes each side.
5. Add the apple slices and cider/juice. Stir so the apples make contact with the pan so they start cooking right away. Reduce the heat to medium.


6. As apples start to soften, add the can of yams, mixing ingredients. Sprinkle with a small amount of nutmeg (to taste). Cover with a lid and cook until heated through.


7. Make sure the chops reach at least 160 degrees F. After all, food is not sterile and no one wants to serve up a case of foodborne illness. (Call me anal, but I do always temp-check my meat.) Then serve.

I tend to stir it quite a bit so the yams get mushy. They basically make a sauce that my kids don't recognize as a vegetable.

I usually serve this with green beans (the crummy canned ones that my kids love) and biscuits.











7 comments:

  1. Yum! Maybe I could sneak the yams by my girls too. It's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks delicious! I used to eat yams when i was in my family's house. But here, nah, no one likes it except me. :)

    My Mom Blog hop Monday post here Would you visit me back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up on Mom Blog Monday! We're the featured blog of the week so we wanted to stop over to say hello! We look forward to following along with you and hope you'll do the same!
    Blessings,
    j
    www.beneaththeacaciatree.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish my husband would eat yams. The kids and I love them, but just can't get dear old dad to do it! Thanks for linking up and sharing one of your recipes!

    BTW, my kids like the crummy green beans too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really yummy.

    BTW - I love chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a perfect fall meal. How did you know I had some sad little apples laying around?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd get along with your kids. I like canned green beans too. Hey, that dish looks great and it looks easy (something even I could do). I'm hopping around this morning, reading posts, gave you a follow. If you have not stopped by yet, please do. My door is aways open!
    Laurie
    http://grandma-sez-so.blogspot.com/p/hop-to-it.html

    ReplyDelete